The Stand – Stephen King
I was delighted to track this book down in a book exchange in Trivandrum. It almost made it worth going to India. The final book on my top 100 and I finished on a medium. The book was ok, although I did notice that Mr King has a bit of a urine obsession going on. His favourite adjective is variations on pissy, pissing, pissant and honestly, there are at least a dozen references in the book to people wetting themselves. I don’t know if this was meant to be a recurring theme in this book, or whether it appears in his other works.
So that’s one more item ticked off the list, and with less than six months to go until the big 3-0, a good time to fess-up that I’m not going to get this all done. Currently, the list looks like this.
1. Go to Glastonbury - COMPLETED Summer 2009, 2010 and 2011
2. Go to Edinburgh Festival – COMPLETED Summer 2010
3. Go kayaking – COMPLETED Summer 2010, plus we’ve done loads of kayaking on this holiday
4. Read the top 100 books – COMPLETED January 2012 finishing on Stephen King’s “The Stand”
5. Watch the top 100 films – INCOMPLETE 98 down 2 to go (Apocalypse Now and The Seven Samurai). We are hiring a campervan in NZ which comes with a dvd player, so I could have finished this then, but since I will have other things outstanding as at June 2012, then I’m not so fussed and they can wait until I’m back home.
6. Go surfing – COMPLETED February 2009 in Gran Canaria
7. Learn to ride the unicycle – INCOMPLETE – I have tried and it is bloody hard. Need to put the hours of falling off again and again in before you can expect results.
8. Go horse-riding – COMPLETED Summer 2009
9. Qualify as a solicitor – COMPLETED 2008
10. Go scuba-diving - COMPLETED Summer 2011
11. Go veggie for 1 month – COMPLETED 2008
12. Paint a picture – COMPLETED in Chiang Mai in 2011
13. Climb a Munro – COMPLETED Summer 2011
14. Get something published – COMPLETED Summer 2008
15. Take a circus skills class – COMPLETED 2010
16. Go to a big arena concert – COMPLETED 2008
17. Do a marathon – COMPLETED 2011
18. Learn to play a musical instrument – INCOMPLETE I don’t think 5 piano lessons can possibly count, will continue these on return to UK.
19. Go paintballing – INCOMPLETE I could get this one done in NZ I expect.
20. Go to a Shakespeare play at the Globe – COMPLETED 2009
21. Go paragliding – COMPLETED Summer 2010
22. Learn to dance – COMPLETED Summer 2009
23. Go zorbing – COMPLETED Summer 2008
24. Go to Notting Hill Carnival – COMPLETED Summer 2008
25. Go skiing – COMPLETED on an indoor ski slope in 2008 and in the real thing in Lapland in 2011
26. Go in a hot air balloon – COMPLETED Summer 2010
27. Learn to do the splits – INCOMPLETE – I’ve been really naughty and not done any stretching. I will start from today! It’s blogged now so it’s official.
28. Go rock climbing – COMPLETED 2008 and done loads since then
29. Go abseiling – COMPLETED 2008
30. Learn to rollerblade – INCOMPLETE – I can rollerblade, but I wanted to get good before I ticked this off. Still not good.
So I have six things outstanding currently and at least some of those (unicycling, instrument) I cannot do on my travels. It’s going to be a big, fat FAIL come 13 June 2012. But I still want to do those things, so I’m going to try to get them done before my 31st birthday. Now, I’m not changing the deadline and pretending that’s it still counts – I still consider this a FAIL, but I still want to finish my current list before I start drawing up a 40 things to do list.